Hope Is Always Here

Celine Nguyen

Ms. Asuncion

English 9 Honors, Block 6

20 November 2015

Hope Is Always Here
     
       In your life, there are some good days and there are some bad days. You might have a day when

something amazing has happened to you and you jump for joy. You might have a day when something

bad unexpectedly slaps you across the face. You might feel like you can't handle what has happened to

you and you start to lose hope. To everyone who has lost hope, I am here to tell you that you will have

hope again.
     
       In the book Hope Was Here, Joan Bauer writes about a girl who gives hope to people. Hope Yancey

is sixteen years old and she works as a waitress at a restaurant every time she moves to a new place. She

lives with her aunt, Addie, who is a cook. Hope has been through a lot in her life and she has a lot going

on in her life. When she was a baby, she was born too early and too small. She has attended six different

schools and has lived in five different states (Bauer 7). She doesn't get to stay in the same place for a long

time. She and Addie were robbed by a man whom they trusted very much, she has a job, goes to school,

learns more about politics, and she helps a man named G.T. Stoop run for mayor of Mulhoney,

Wisconsin. She has lost some people who were important to her in her life, but she also gained some

things. She made new friends who became her family. Hope has lost hope before. Her memories, her

friends, and her family give her hope again. They make her happy. She is kind and she spreads

 happiness to those she meets. Joan Bauer's book, Hope Was Here, touched my heart.
     
       I have lost hope before. Last year in August before 8th grade began, my grandmother went into the

emergency room. I went in with my grandmother that day. She was crying and she said her stomach hurt

a lot. She had a scan and the doctor told us she had to have surgery the next day or she would die. My

grandmother had a hernia and it was a bad one. A couple minutes after the doctor left, my grandmother

started coughing hard. My aunt and I helped her sit up and we gave her a little bowl. She coughed up

blood. For the first two days in the hospital, that was all she did. The doctors decided doing the surgery

was dangerous, so they postponed it. My grandmother was losing too much blood. I thought she was

going to die. She has been there for me since the beginning of my life and I can't imagine losing her. My

whole family lost hope. We could feel death surrounding her. We prayed to God for help. A week later,

the doctor told us my grandmother was feeling better. That gave us a little hope. A few days after that,

the doctor told us her hernia was gone. She went home a couple days later. She was so happy that she  

could eat again. She really wanted to eat eggrolls when she got out of the hospital. My mom made her a

bunch.
     
       Hope has taught me to cherish all my memories and all the good times I have had. She has also

reminded me that good things will come out of the bad and no matter what, never give up. Never give up

on a goal or dream that you have. Pursue them. We should also focus more on what is right in front of us.

Thinking about changing the past won't do anything. Hope kept on thinking about what has happened to

her in the past. She learned to focus on what was right in front of her. The choices that we are currently

making will affect our future. I want to spread hope and happiness just like she did. "You've got to love

yourself with all your shortcomings, and you've got to love the world, no matter how bad it gets

(Bauer 56)." Never give up and don't lose hope.

Works Cited

Bauer, Joan. Hope Was Here. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2000. Print.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Format Dialogue

Business Letter Formatting

How to fix sentence fragments