Amanda McCuistion
Ms. Asuncion
English 9 H Block 3
10 December 2015
It Was Too Late
            The clock was ticking I knew I didn't have much time. I needed to complete the emergency surgical procedure but it was too late. The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. The girl’s parents bawled after hearing the news. Watching the like that was like having my heart ripped out over and over again.  Never have I ever let a child down in my five years of being a pediatric surgeon. Until now.
            My boss decided that I would have a day off due to the event being too “traumatic” for me to just keep working. I then went home to my apartment and sat there, just contemplating whether all of my rigorous studying and coming this far was worth it. Did I really want to do this? Am I capable? I remember the day before my big mistake; I met the parents of a different child who I treated; they were the most thankful and kept giving complements. Those days seemed so far away to me.
            I received news that the funeral for the child would be that weekend. Although I felt I wouldn't be able to be relinquished of my sufferings, I decide it would be best to go and pay my respects to her friends and family. As I entered the funeral home, I saw many pictures of the child alive, bright and happy. After the ceremony, I met up with the parents and had a long conversation with them. Although I gave told them my condolences, their response is something that would be forever ingrained in my memory.

Even though they were feeling sorrow for their child they still managed to encourage me to keep doing my job.  I didn't understand why they said that. Suddenly, I felt a tear come down my hot cheek and the strong wave of pain in my chest disappearing. They said thank you even though I failed to carry out the operation. The next day I got ready for work. With my white lab coat and stethoscope, I felt like I was ready to take on the day, free from the past holding me back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Format Dialogue

How to fix sentence fragments

Business Letter Formatting