Karan Nair
Ms. Asuncion
English 9H 3
8 October 2015
Tournament
         What are tournaments like? I have been learning karate for eight years and tournaments are one of my favorite things to attend.  They are held annually around January and lots of people attend them. The place I attend, Enshin Karate, has gone through many changes but still follows tradition.  I started karate lessons at age six in first grade and throughout the years I’ve learned a lot of lessons,  particularly patience, respecting others and good sportsman ship.  Currently I am a first degree black belt at Enshin Karate.  I have competed in five tournaments throughout my eight years.  My third one was the most intense for me.
         I arrived at the Westminster Elementary School in Fairfax and knew what to expect, but still had butterflies in my stomach.  I signed in with my parents and entered the gymnasium of the school.  I put on my gear and stretched out.  It was seven in the morning and I was very tired, but also very anxious.  Since I had a couple of hours before my first fight, I walked around and talked to people and studied the other fights going on.  Finally, I heard my name being announced for my first fight.  I knew my opponent.  A friend of mine that attends the same karate dojo I go to.  I felt bad because we were friends but I had to still continue with the fight.  We stepped up to the mat and nervously looked at each other.  The referee signaled the match and called, “Go!” 
         I took a deep breath and went on my toes and moved around.  I knew my opponents weakness already so I tired him out and threw punches.  Even though he was heavier than me, I moved around and landed a high roundhouse kick on his head.  The match was two minutes long, but felt like just seconds.  The referee called time and it ended with me winning by one point.
         Now I had moved up to the semifinals in my bracket.  If I won all three then I would win the grand championship in my division.  I saw my opponent and he was very tall and threw a lot of high kicks.  I strategized a good plan to keep my distance when I stepped on the mat.  The referee called, “Go” and the match started.  All of a sudden he threw crazy kicks that really confused me.  They were trick kicks and he was landing a lot of them on my head and getting points.  I soon caught up by doing the same thing.  Two minutes got over and the match ended in a tie, two to two.  It went into overtime and our coaches had one minute to prep us.  The timer started and we kept our hands up and threw a bunch of kicks.  I got one on his head right before the match ended.  The referee called time and it ended four to two with me winning.  I hadn’t ever gotten this far and I was very excited.
         I saw my third opponent, a world champion that traveled to Japan for some tournaments.  I was greatly intimidated by his experience and felt very nervous.  My coach gave me advice and I stepped on the mat.  My opponent and I looked at each other nervously with our dark helmets on.  The match started and he charged at me with all sorts of attacks.  It was time to think technical; I used his movements against him and threw him on the floor.  I got two point and excitedly moved out of the way.  The match was intense, on both sides of the mat we had people cheering and rooting for us.  My ears zoned out all the noise and all I could hear was the loud sound of my heavy breathing.  Before I even realized it, the match was over.  My opponent was looking greatly upset by the time I shook his hand.
         I had won the grand championship but I still felt bad for my opponent that I beat him.  Like me, he must have spent months preparing for this moment.  I found him through the crowd of people congratulating me.  He was upset but told me he was fine.  I thanked him and went back to my side.  Good sportsmanship is something very wise and respectful to show.  You don’t have to perform it, but it is a great quality to have in the journey of martial arts.

         I won first place that day, but I had been also respected by my opponents, and won a fair match.  At the ceremony, the Grandmaster called me up to hand me the grand champion trophy.  I held it with a huge smile across my face.  I went home that day feeling very accomplished, and couldn’t wait to go to the next annual tournament.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Format Dialogue

How to fix sentence fragments

Business Letter Formatting