Manali Gantaram

Ms. Asuncion

English 9H

8 December 2015

The Last Friday in October

         Finally, it’s Friday, I think to myself as I step on to my bus to go home. It definitely felt

like one of the longer weeks because of all the back-to- back tests and quizzes I had. And it’s only

the second month of high school.

        “Rachel, over here!” my best friend Holly yells from the back of the bus.

         I make my way over to her, juggling my violin case, binder, and lacrosse stick through

the narrow bus aisle.

        “Rachel, did you hear about what happened to that one boy?” she asks, not bothering to

greet me.

        “Can you elaborate? That one boy isn’t necessarily specific.” I reply with a sarcastic edge

to my voice.

        “Everyone’s been talking about it! Ok, so you know that one little boy who used to play

with Katie’s younger brother over the summer? The one who loves baseball? I think his name is

Kyle or something,” she explains.

        “Oh yeah,” I nod, starting to remember.

       “Apparently, he was walking home from this club after school, and you know little kids,

they get distracted really easily. So he decided to stop by the playground. That’s where Katie last

saw him, when she was picking up her brother from school,” Holly explains.

      “Katie said she asked him if he wants to come with them since they’re neighbors, but he

said no because he wanted to play. And that was the last time anyone saw him. He never went

home, and they still can’t find him. He’s kidnapped Rachel!” She exclaims.

       “Oh my gosh, that’s horrible! I can’t believe I didn’t hear about this! But, but…” I didn’t

know what to say. “There’ve been weird things going around in this town,” I say. It’s true. About

a month ago, a girl went missing in a town just thirty minutes away from ours, and now this.

      “Yeah, the world is just messed up now,” Holly adds looking outside the window.

The conversation then spread to random topics, and soon, Holly’s stop came into view.

      “Ok bye Holly, See ya later,” I wave.

       “Bye Rach!” She says.

        My stop is one of the last ones, so I have to wait a little before I get home. As Holly

leaves, I can’t help but to think back to whatever happened to that little boy, Kyle. It is really

scary, especially because something like this happened not-too long ago. But, I mean that can

happened to anyone, right?

        Finally, the bus reaches my stop, and I step out with a hundred-and- one things in my

arms. I can’t wait to get home. I just want to sleep! Unfortunately, it takes about ten minutes to

walk from the bus stop to my house. I decide to take the short cut: the bike path.



       I start to head down the path, stepping on the fallen leaves in my path. Crunch, crunch,

crunch. I briefly put down the stuff in my arms to zip up my jacket, as the cool October air hits

me. I continue down the path but then stop…

      There’s a sound of a stick breaking and some rustling leaves. Must be some animal, don’t

worry Rachel…you’re getting paranoid.

      I keep walking and start humming a song to keep me distracted.

Crunch, crunch, crunch. Ok, this time I definitely heard something and it did not sound

like an animal. Then I hear it…

      Footsteps.

      This is really weird now. Not many people go through this path, and especially not at this

time of the day.

      The footsteps are getting louder, they’re coming closer.

I whip my head back. All of a sudden, someone grabs my arm, and puts a cloth over my

mouth before I can scream.

      My vision starts to close in, and I black out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Format Dialogue

How to fix sentence fragments

Business Letter Formatting